Saturday, March 6, 2010

Welcome!


Welcome to Writing about Medicine. I've started this blog to help improve the way we share medical information. Medicine is a fascinating subject. Why then is "medical writing" so often clunky, confusing, and forgettable? Because -- at least in part -- people who understand medicine don't know how to write, and people who know how to write don't understand medicine.

I know how to write, and I do understand a little of how doctors think about medicine and their patients. Every weekday, I edit 18 to 20 news articles for medical professionals, plus 3 video scripts. I want to share with my writers something of what I've learned over the years, so they'll provide a better product for our readers. (Plus, I want everyone to write more clearly and accurately so I can get through the stories faster and get home at a reasonable hour.)

That's the short version of why I've launched Writing about Medicine. Thanks for reading. I hope you'll participate by commenting on posts and trying out the suggestions I'll offer.

P.S. Did you notice? I wrote this entire post in the active voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment